There are 6 weight loss medications and a pill that is considered a medical device, all approved by the FDA. These drugs and device are indicated for people with a BMI of 30 or more or people with a BMI of 27 or more with at least one weight-related comorbidity (e.g., hypertension, diabetes, hyperlipidemia). They can cause moderate weight loss in some people and should be stopped after 12 weeks in people who are not responsive (weight loss of at least 5% of body weight in 12 weeks). There is a wide range of responsiveness to these treatments. None of these drugs should be used in pregnant or breastfeeding women. Buckhead Medicine will guide you through your options for therapy as it relates to those listed below.
- Liraglutide (Saxenda®): Injectable drug that is part of a family of drugs called GLP-1 agonists. Most commonly used to treat diabetes.
- Cellulose/Citric Acid (Plenity): Plenity is considered a medical device as the cellulose and citric acid within the pills are not absorbed by your body. It helps you feel full, eat less, and lose weight.
- Naltrexone/Bupropion (Contrave®): Contrave helps sustain your willpower to eat well. This drug combines naltrexone, which is used to treat drug and alcohol addiction and bupropion, which is used to treat depression and help people quit smoking.
- Orlistat (Xenical®, Alli®): Works by decreasing the amount of fat that is absorbed from the diet.
- Phentermine: This drug has stimulant properties and it decreases appetite. It is only approved for short-term treatment.
- Phentermine/Topiramate (Qsymia®): A phentermine and the anti-seizure drug, topiramate, has been shown to be superior to either drug alone and both drugs work to reduce appetite.
- Lorcaserin (Belviq®): This drug works by activating a specific serotonin receptor (5-HT2C receptor) in the brain to promote a feeling of fullness (satiety).
Weight Loss Management in Atlanta, Georgia
We are dedicated to helping you lose weight and keep it off. We plan your diet and lifestyle modification with you and administer weight-loss medications as necessary. If appropriate, weight-loss/bariatric surgery will be recommended. Our weight-loss plans are personalized to give you the greatest chance of success, and our approach intends to help keep you from developing diabetes and other complications associated with being overweight.
Benefits of our Weight Loss Management Program
Annual Exams FAQs
QWhat is Body Mass Index (BMI)?
BMI is a measure used to index a person’s height and weight. It allows healthcare professionals and patients to better understand health issues associated with a specific weight classification (classifications such as obesity and morbid obesity).
QWhat is a co-morbid condition?
There are two definitions of a co-morbid condition: the presence of one or more disorder or disease in addition to a primary disorder or disease; or, the presence of a disorder or disease that is caused by or otherwise related to another condition in the same patient. The primary disease of morbid obesity can lead to several co-morbid conditions.
QWhat is bariatric surgery?
Bariatric surgery is a procedure designed to make the stomach smaller so the patient feels satisfied with less food. It is intended for people who are 100 pounds or more overweight (with a Body Mass Index of above 40) and who have not had success with other weight loss therapies such as diet, exercise or medications.
QWhat type of weight loss management program should I avoid?
Don’t use a weight management service that advises you to
- cut out one or more of the major food groups or to replace food with powders or supplements.
- use unproven or unsafe equipment such as saunas, passive exercise machines, diuretics and body wraps.
- focus on rapid weight loss, but doesn’t include any guidance on how to maintain a healthy weight for the long term
- encourage short-term changes to eating behaviours, rather than longer-term, sustainable changes
WHAT OUR PATIENTS ARE SAYING
I needed a rapid covid molecular test (not antigen) for travel. This office offers the Abbott ID Now test, which gave me results within an hour! They were very nice, professional, and all around great experience. Thank you Hannah for reaching out to me when the tests were back in stock! And thank you Misha, NP for performing the test and being so informative and courteous!!!
The staff here were wonderful in arranging my Fit To Fly covid tests. Reliable, efficient, and very responsive via texts. Highly recommend for covid testing!
Source – Google.com
Dr. Espinosa is an excellent primary care doctor. He is thoughtful in all of his interactions and incredibly responsive to questions and concerns. I appreciate the practice’s attention to detail and the priority they place on patient experience.
Your location is perfect for me. Stopping by to get a quick flu shot was easy and pleasant. Thank you for a quick in and out.
Dr. Espinosa always takes a lot of time educating and answering questions. This allows patients to feel very comfortable with whatever brings them to his office. Megan and Margaret are both extremely professional and kind.
Dr. Espinosa did an IPL laser treatment on my face and I am amazed at the results after just one treatment! I am born and raised in Florida and spent more time outside than inside and at 28 yrs old didn’t even realize how much I would benefit from a treatment. Also, I got the treatment done 3 weeks prior to my wedding and it was perfect timing! In 7 days the spots and freckles just feel off and now my skin tone looks so great I am even wearing less make up. If you live in Atlanta and are looking for aesthetics services or a more youthful appearance Dr. Espinosa is where it’s at.
Dr E is simply the best! I don’t trust any other professional when it comes to my face. he is informative and honest and does an amazing job when it comes to Botox and facial treatments!
Dr Espinosa, Kelly and the entire staff are truly phenomenal! They are extremely professional, caring and go above and beyond for us every time we call office for a question and also for an in person appointment. We highly recommend Dr Espinosa as he is the absolute best!!